Spending some time with Adobe design software this summer has helped me understand why we don't always understand.
For one thing, we writers are finicky about our words. Let's take the word "layer" for starters. If I'm a writer and I see the word layer, I think of things stacked one on top of the other. With Adobe software, several layers can occur in a single dimension. For example, on a web site page, the headline may be one layer, the text another layer, a graphic another layer, etc. A reader can see all of these things at once. So how are they layers? I have come to a place of acceptance on this issue, but for the record? As a Virgo and a writer? I don't think things sitting next to each other and not overlapping should be called layers. I just don't. You know? If you want to call them layers, okay, but don't expect a writer to understand or accept this right away. Hmmm...I guess I'm not in a place of acceptance just yet.
Here's another one: rasterize. How can you hear that word and not think of Bob Marley? I have seen text get rasterized on a projection screen and I still don't know what it means. Get up, stand up, and please somebody explain this to me. I get warnings in Dreamweaver all the time that something has inadvertently been rasterized. Is this a misdemeanor or a felony? Isn't there another word that could communicate what this means?
Also, mask. We had to type this sentence today while learning about Flash: "A mask reveals."
Huh? I had just learned that in Photoshop "a mask conceals." What kind of topsy turvy world is this? Let's track down the Phantom of the Opera. Or the Lone Ranger. I think they'll agree with Photoshop.
How about "tween?" A person between 8 and 12, right, writers? Not always. Tweening is the heart of Flash animation. The process that makes something move smoothly and gradually instead of all at once.
There are lots more funny words too, like ping (actually png) and swiff (actually swf). Cool abbreviations, too, like "CSS" (Cascading Style Sheet). That one reminds me of American Graffiti, when the street tough gets a ticket and says "file it under CS."
Adobe is a secret language, and I know just enough to be dangerous. And mouthy.
Finally, I must confess that in playing at being a web designer, I myself have referred to words as "type." And if there are too many on a cramped page, they sometimes get on my nerves.
Does this make me a creative without a country? I hope not.
See you soon!
3 comments:
My observation from following this
blog for many weeks: the mouthy Mol is the best Mol. Please say that you're going to continue the entries even after you "graduate."
Fabulous post.
I had a lovely experience on Springboard two days ago when I posted on my heretofore non-existent blog only to find that it was still non-existent the next day. Also loaded a video which took approximately three millennia and then showed up as a Writing file (yes, I clicked video on the Media menu), which is to say, it's a blank page. So I think design may be a second language to some web designers, too.
As a practicing Loyalist, though, I support all design, words, layers, tweening, preening and nod, embracing change and securing our future.
Can't wait to hear you play your guitar, Mol. See ya....
Molly, I love your posts!! I'm going to miss reading about these funny goings-on (but I'm glad you're coming back soon)! And in case it's helpful, I like to think of "layers" as sheets of vellum or something transparent (Saran Wrap? Sure!). When the layers are stacked, you can still see each design element through all the other layers.
Aside from this, I have nothing to contribute to a design discussion... :) Wish I knew all that you know now!
Post a Comment