Found myself with a free afternoon, so took a hike over to Dinkytown, the best just-off-campus retail neighborhood in the world.
Some things have changed since the 70s, notably the replacement of many local restaurants with franchises like Chipotle and Jimmy John's. My brother-in-law reminded me about the campus's "Red Barn Riot" in 1973. Up until then, no national chains had established themselves at the University. As suggested by the event's nickname, things got out of hand when the police were called in to remove the protesters. I've eaten at the Red Barn, and there were many reasons not to want one around.
Still, even with the encroachment by corporate fast food, Dinkytown is rich in charm and history.
I'm hoping to make a trip to Al's Breakfast one morning. It's a funky closet of a place, just wide enough for a long grill, a lunch counter, some stools, and a single-file row of people watching you eat and pouncing the second you're finished. They used to have omelettes the size of footballs and blueberry pancakes as big and heavy as Frisbees. I wonder if they offer healthier choices these days. (I kinda hope not.)
I made an afternoon of it, and therefore drank a whole latte lattes, which may explain why I'm blogging late into the night.
The lazy day made me realize that working full time and keeping up with the daily demands of a household can make you forget exactly what it is you like to do.
For example, I really like sitting at an outdoor cafe watching people. I like shopping in used book stores. I like being in music stores and fantasizing about having a sweet guitar. I like buying hot dogs from street vendors. I like riding the bus downtown. I like eating lunch outside with an old friend. What good luck it was to do all these things in the past 24 hours.
What is it you like to do? Are you making time for it right now?
Thursday, July 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
What a nice post. Working and living do keep you from doing what you like, even if you like working and living.
I like watching TV. There, I said it. I really haven't watched much since the pre-kid years. Oh, enough to get by...but it's all pre-recorded and watched when I can fit it in.
I'm talking the kind of TV watching when you just happen upon something useless, turn your brain off for an hour, and feel completely refreshed when you're done. That's good stuff.
Love reading about your adventures, Molly. Living vicariously through you!
I love listening to old radio programs while doing little chores around the house: folding laundry, ironing or doing dishes.
I love imagining what the original listeners to the program must have been thinking and doing when it first aired.
It's such a quaint, restful, entertaining and productive way to spend an hour or two. The time just flies by, and at the end, I've brushed up on some Jack Benny jokes AND my chores are done! What's not to love! :o)
Post a Comment