Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Genius revealed

Has everyone heard about the "Bodies Revealed" exhibit touring the nation's science museums? It features actual human cadavers with all their internal bodily thingies exposed. It travels with a cloud of controversy as to whether the Chinese subjects actually consented to have their bodies revealed this way. Also, groups of Christians and others find it morally wrong to show the dead in this commercial and sensational venue. Proponents argue that it's perfectly natural and that we should all know more about our bodies.

Having been with my dad when he died, watching him take is last breath, I have come to view death as a solemn and spiritual moment, and I don't fear it. So I have veered away from the exhibit so as not to mess with that understanding.

Here's a photo of one of the revealed bodies. In addition to being posed as extreme sports enthusiasts, the figures are shown as dancers, smokers, bicyclists, and other hobbyists.























Shortly after the exhibit arrived in Kansas City, my talented friend Ramon began creating pen-and-ink studies of other living beings revealed. The collection includes yard gnomes, unicorns, hobos, hillbillies, harpists, weiner dogs, and many other unlikely subjects.

I was thrilled today to receive an email containing his latest drawing (the first cyberspace-traveling, interstate installment in the series):




















Image © 2008 by Ramon Olivera


If you you listen very carefully, you can hear the gopher virtuoso playing something folksy and upbeat from "Prairie Home Companion." Or is it the haunting theme from "Fargo?"

Thanks, Ramon!

1 comment:

Liza Jane said...

I think the real Gopher mascot pales in comparison to this guitar playing rodent. With Ramon's permission, perhaps a petition to change the official mascot is in order. Mol, I think all petitions start at Morrill Hall. Go to Northrop, take a right.