Monday, July 7, 2008

Letting go

This afternoon I decided to give up on being friendly to my fellow dorm residents. Aside from some very nice times with my brother and his family, it had been a long, lonely weekend. I slid my tray through the cafeteria line, opting for, I'm pretty sure, the roast yak, then shuffled off to the least crowded corner of the dining hall, where I picked at my food and sulked.

Looking up a few minutes later, I saw Lance (my Chicago friend) and Cheryl (from Cameroon) heading my way, asking if they could join me. I owned up to my being cranky and homesick. Turns out Cheryl is homesick, too. We had a nice conversation, comparing notes about our workloads, families, and weekends. I quit worrying about the groups of students who appear to have come to summer school as a distinct and impermeable group and remembered the advice Steve and I have always given to our kids:

You don't have to be the most popular kid in the school. All you really need is a couple of good friends.

To be honest, today's cafeteria incident also makes me wonder if I should pick at my food and sulk more often. At least when they're serving up the yak.

Note: I stole the yak joke from my brother-in-law Dave, who also hooked me up with a deluxe Frito-Lay assortment. Suddenly I feel like packing a lunch.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Molly-Thought I'd better quit being a just a voyeur and leave a note. Am I going to have to come up there so we can celebrate our birthdays? I will if you need me. But I should warn you...the last time I celebrated a birthday at college it wasn't so pretty. Pretty sure I'm older and wiser now. Good luck on your guitar mid-term! If it's any consolation, we're doing mid-year reviews here.
meg

Anonymous said...

Snap out of it, Wigand! We're not paying you to be moody and homesick.

Wordy McGee said...

Girrrrrl, have you seen the Hallmark intranet homepage today? Here's an excerpt from the article all about you: "During her eight weeks at school, Molly is studying web design and classical guitar. Mostly, however, she is studying her classmates and professors." What are you, some kind of campus stalker or something?