Believe it or not, I've reached the point where Photoshop is fun for me. Not second nature, not a piece of cake, definitely not a career path, but it is fun and as of today I believe I can actually build a web site. The class is intense (a semester's worth of content in 8 weeks), and I now have the perspective to see which bits and pieces will be helpful for writers to learn.
Up until today, I was expecting myself to keep up with professional graphic designers. As a result, I arrived at each class with my stomach in knots. Today during class I had a jumbo-sized "aha moment." My future does not depend upon my mastering the ins and outs of Photoshop and Dreamweaver. If my "aha" is incorrect, somebody from work please let me know.
I'm looking forward to working on my site over the weekend. I've got a plan and a "For Dummies" book, so I'm dangerous.
Maybe you're wondering what I'm doing for the 4th.
Here's the confession: While I love our country, and I'm glad we beat the Redcoats, I hate this stinkin' holiday.
The original venom comes from my childhood, when hordes of neighbor boys threw firecrackers at Lisa's and my feet when we were walking to the EZ-Shop to buy popsicles. The resulting twitchiness made me an easy target for teasing and more firecracker-throwing.
But It was raising three sons and one stepson that made the 4th a dreaded ordeal for me. For 25 years, I manned the Mycitracin station when people were careless with their punks and sparklers. And who can forget the year Steve and the boys went out to the country to set off bottle rockets and found a human skull on the river bank?
Yankee freakin' Doodle, I say. (Also, fireworks, shmireworks.)
Oh yeah. And Happy 4th!
Wednesday, July 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I'm with you on the fireworks thing. But I can think of another reason this holiday was dreadful. Do you remember marching in the WHIZ BANG DAYS 4th of July parade? It was usually 100 degrees with 95% humidity, and we were wearing wool uniforms while trying to play clarinets. Who thought that was fun again?
Guide right.
We have a brand-spanking new Timberline roof, which replaced the shake, and thus reduces the risk of an errant bottle rocket taking all my worldly stuff. I live in Johnson county where I might rely on my law-abiding neighbors to abide the laws concerning explosive devices...but right now I'm looking at the elders driveway across the street where a toddler waving a tiny flag appears more than ready to be illegally entertained come tomorrow.
So I, too, wish the rockets red glare would've fizzled for good way back when. It'll be me and my Nano ipod come dark on the 4th. After 50 years of fingers in my ears, the ear buds are a blessing!
Your aha is correct. I'm sorry you hate the 4th; it's one of my favorites, mainly because of the food.
Post a Comment