I am not Cheryl. I did not throw in the towel. I did swear at it. And stomp on it. Sorry, towel.
Today's brainbusting challenge was to design "rollover states" for the navigation buttons on my home page. (I want the big blue dots to turn gold when the mouse rolls over them.)
How did it go?
Let's just say my motto for today is "If at first you don't succeed...try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try again.
I created a file management monster and dumped the whole thing and started over twelve times.
But I'll be damned if I didn't figure it out. Here's what five hours of work looks like:


Yes, I know they're not perfectly equal in size. But they are as equal as they are going to get.
Rollovers are among the features our individual web sites must have. Also a minimum of five pages linked to the home page, Flash elements (I'm in denial about that one), a collection of web-optimized images, and text configured with CSS (cascading style sheets--documents ensuring consistency of fonts and other text variables throughout the site).
The bad news is that while I was sitting here hunched over my computer with the drapes closed, a beautiful day was going on outside.
Still, I'm glad I got it done. Steve gets to town tomorrow, and we'll have a few days to reconnect.
Our agenda includes several events at "Whiz Bang Days" the summer extravaganza of Robbinsdale, Minnesota, my hometown.
Notice that Sunday's parade winds up at Sanborn Park, right across the street from my childhood home. I was the queen of that park and got to ride on a float in a parade. Not until my college years did I learn that my two older sisters had stuffed the ballot box, and the crown likely belonged instead to Susie Ward or possibly Teresa Van Lith. Sanborn Park in 1959 was the junior royalty equivalent of the 2000 Florida elections.
If you're curious, or have a bunch of gas money burning a hole in your pocket, you should check it out. You might win a cool horseshoes or archery trophy, like my sister Melanie did in eighth grade.
* * *
3 comments:
Tenacity, thy name is Molly! And who says it doesn't pay to have dedicated sisters?
Thinking of you and hoping your festival festivities are nostalgic and refreshing. Best to you!
Debra
Could I please register a small item of note for the audience, especially the older sisters: When I was in the same position as Molly just 2 years later, I only had enough votes to be a Sanborn Park princess.
Possible Conclusions:
1.The older girls liked Molly better.
2. It was no longer cool for the older girls to hang out at the park.
3. Molly had a large contingent of other secret admirers that put her tally over the top.
I think it was #3.
Molly, I am proud. Roll-overs are no piece of cake and you definitely have stick-to-it-ness.
The matching size is of little consequence...mere menial points off in the perspective of things.
There's a way to do this in ImageReady CS, if you still have this on your mac (you may not with the new laptop) but I'm not sure it's worth having to learn a different way once you've accomplished the "hard" way.
Kudos.
Post a Comment