Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Moxie check

Ok, everybody. Some people seem concerned that I've gone over to the cranky side and have lost my adventurous spirit.

I've received feedback including "Wow, you sound really low" and "Quit being so moody and homesick." (This last one was posted in jest, but it still warrants a response from me.)

It is true that yesterday, for a little while, I was a mess. I couldn't find my moxie. Looked everywhere, too. Tried the usual remedies. Couldn't get a bead on it.

But today it's back. That's how it works with my moxie.

It may be more enjoyable for everyone to read about happy-go-lucky me. But in blogging every day, there are going to be some less-than-ebullient posts.

Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't trade this experience for anything--the people I've met are incredible, and the opportunity is humbling. Overall, I'm up for anything for these eight weeks.

Please bear with me on the strange days. It won't be an authentic portrayal of the summer if I smooth over the rough spots.

Sometimes I can revive the moxie with a walk to the DQ. Today, several events conspired in my favor--a soft breeze, some cards from home, and a lucky intervention in the form of a mellow outdoor concert. The band's finale was a lovely and inspired cover of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah."

I found the song on YouTube, but it lost a bit of its spiritual glow for me when I saw that several You Tubers referred to it as "that Shrek song."

Still, there's a lot of love in this cover by Rufus Wainright.

3 comments:

Linda said...

Molly,

Having just spent the past hour or so catching up on your summer adventures I want to thank you for a most enjoyable end of the day.

Especially with Rufus Wainwright to top it off. Not only is that one of my all-time favorite songs, but until I got to that, I couldn't make Go Tell Aunt Rhody stop playing in my head. I had begun to worry that my only recourse would be to grab my own guitar and strum through a few verses of Michael Row Your Boat Ashore. Now I can go to bed in peace.

Guitar-lesson playlist aside, this is very much fun. Thank you for being willing (and so very able) to share your experiences.

lynda said...

Dol-
I'm assuming the purpose of this blog is so that we can enjoy the way you arrange the alphabet to amuse us as we read of your adventures. So far, so good, and if moodiness is part of the package, we creatives will certainly relate, no?
Check out K D Laing's version of the Cohen tune on her 49th Parallal CD. Yum.

Liza Jane said...

I think if your blog were always upbeat and perky, I would check what kind of mushrooms they were serving with that yak for lunch. Who went through college being upbeat and perky anyway?

Oh yeah, there was that woman who lived in my dorm who was crowned Miss USA while in college. Other than her, nobody I know. She always wore red patent leather shoes. Maybe that was the trick. Give it a shot.