Friday, August 1, 2008

Stereotype busters #2 and #3

Yesterday after the guitar final, several of us went to lunch at Jimmy John's on the West Bank of campus.  

Having been chased out of my original dorm room assignment by noisy and hostile football players, I'd developed an attitude toward the entire gridiron program.

It turns out, though, that a quiet and friendly student in my guitar class is destined for greatness as an offensive lineman for the Gophers.  Matt spent two years at Notre Dame after an All-American high school football career.   He's returned to Minnesota in hopes of getting more playing time (and to be closer to friends and family).  He'll sit out this year before playing for the Gophers in Fall 2009. 

Here's a little story about him. 

Matt gave me some helpful free advice about motor scooters to pass along to my middle son, Joey, who's feeling the gasoline price pinch.   I feel a little sad that we just got acquainted on the last day of class.

I put in a request that when he gets to the NFL and the camera finds him, he'll wave and say, "Hi Mom...and Molly."   He didn't exactly agree to it, but you never know. 

* * *
Another class member, Tony, was thrilled to hear I work for Hallmark and asked if I could hook him up with some holiday cards.   So...in your faces, people who think guys and/or millennials don't send Christmas cards!    

* * *

No comments: