Thursday, July 3, 2008

Sanctuary

My dorm is across the street from several University medical buildings. I see hospital visitors and patients spending time in this meditation garden and it makes me wonder what courage they must need just to get by.

I stopped here today and thought about my older brother Jim and my little sister Lisa, both of whom have been lifelines for me during my adventure. Jim was successfully treated for thyroid cancer at this same hospital when he was a sophomore in high school. Lisa and I would wait in the lobby while my parents visited him, and when it was time to leave, Jim would wave to us from his window.

Now that I have a family of my own, that scene feels even more tender and poignant. The idea that Jim and Lisa and I are here laughing together, enjoying life in the shadow and light of that memory fills me with gratitude and the realization that family is everything to me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How often does a blog make you cry? For me, never. Until just now. Thank you, Molly.

Liza Jane said...

This summer sojourn is bringing you full circle with so many parts of your past. You have a wonderful way of recounting these scenes so that I appreciate them in a bigger way than I remember them. How did I get so lucky to have you for sister???