I neglected to mention that my sweet sister-in-law Barb toted baskets of heavy stuff today, too. Next weekend is the 2nd birthday of my great-niece, Jim's and Barb's granddaughter. I get to go to the party, which I'm happy about, having missed many extended family milestones since moving away from the Twin Cities in 1979. Also Elaina is very cute!
Speaking of which, tomorrow is my son Dan's 21st. We celebrated last weekend, and he was gracious enough not to resent my absence on the actual day. As you know, tomorrow is also Father's Day. I feel like a bit of a greeting card industry lightweight missing both of those events. This was the basis for one of my several freak-outs in the past 48th hours. Another: finding out that Joey (our 2nd son) has been driving around virtually brakeless after a shoddy performance by our once-favorite mechanic.
The high water between me and my loved ones is also hitting me on a fairly deep maternal-metaphorical level.
A bit more detail on dinner: it was quintessential Coen Brothers characters' Minnesota cuisine: Swedish meatballs and wild rice. Really.
It's very quiet on my floor, which (having raised three brawny lads of my own) makes me wonder what those football players are up to. I hope they're not rough housing.
I am lacking rhetorical transitions today, but would like to mention that my room's a/c is blowing Vicks Formula 44 fumes. Is it wrong to be enjoying them?
Seriously, I think I'll shut down the cool air and open the window. June nights in Minnesota are fantastic,
Saturday, June 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
It's six minutes till Danny turns 21.
The usual suspects (Danny, Joey, John, Tyler & Bobby) are here to take him to hear some 80's covers. Probably be a short set unless you throw in some Disco and Georgio Moroder.
Love You
Nite nite.
Hi Mol,
I loved reading all of your blogs for May and June and getting caught up on your adventure. It will be great to know that family is nearby -- if you get anxious or lonely. Glad to find out that Steve made it home safely. You are the most amazing writer. I'm going to get up reguarly at 5:00 a.m. to connect with my fellow U of M alumnus. Love you. . . Sal
Here is another sister logging in with these questions:
Molly: How is it possible that Dan is 21 when you and I have not aged one bit? (Happy BD Danno!)
Sally: Why are you getting up at 5 am to read the blog? Can't go there.
Steve: Did you see anything interesting floating in the Raccoon River in Des Moines?
And a warning to Molly: Don't get your finger stuck in one of those holes in the closet doors. It happened to one of my hall mates in 1977. She probably is still carrying part of that door around like a large piece of jewelry.
Post a Comment