Sunday, June 29, 2008

Busted!

I thought it would be fun to videotape the cafeteria line at lunchtime, so I put my camera on a tray and got almost through the salad bar when I was apprehended. In my defense, I wasn't videotaping students or staff, just my tray and the food I was putting on it. Ironically, I would have given the pasta with rose' sauce a very favorable review.

Nevertheless, the dining hall supervisor informed me that the University has a strict policy about videotaping within its facilities, and that I'd need to get written permission from the media relations office to do so.

Not having the time or energy to deal with the bureaucracy, I've decided to restrict my filming to the places in which I don't need a permit.

I can understand the need to protect students' privacy, and it will be good exercise for my writing chops to paint a word picture when video is off-limits.

Which leads me to this related item in The Onion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Everyone has a CYA video policy. Dangit!

I wonder if they try to enforce that during shootings?