Sunday, June 22, 2008

Centennial after dark.

When I got back from dinner last night I called home and found out the car is making bizarre noises, the extra key to the extra car has gone missing, and Steve and Mike Murphy have a big meeting tomorrow with the editor of their new book.

Broken cars send me into a tailspin--I think it's the combination of being so dependent on them and our total lack of control when it comes to dealing with mechanics.

I dropped off into a fitful sleep around midnight and dozed until 2:30, when I was nudged awake by...

BAM! BAM! BAM! LET ME IN!

BAM! BAM! BAM! BAM! LET ME IN!

BAM! BAM! BAM! BAM!

At first I thought the pounding was on my door, but it turned out to be some strong, loud person who'd forgotten his keys trying to circumvent dorm security and get in through the courtyard door after hours.

The yelling went on until about 3:15.

My cellphone was dead--I've been keeping it on and with me all day as I bop around town, and nighttime feels like the best time to charge it. (I may rethink this.) But even if it had been working, I'm not sure I'd have tattled. I really don't want some strong, loud people upset with me.

I did call the front desk this morning to make them aware of the problem and encourage the CA (Community Advisor) to step up the monitoring of our neighborhood in the dorm. This is actually a joke, because I'm pretty sure I could handily tackle the CAs I've seen. Think Ralph and Pottsie of Happy Days.

Things seem back to normal today, or they will once I get my afternoon snooze in!

2 comments:

Liza Jane said...

Man on man, that must have been scary to be awakened like that.

Back in the day, I had a dorm room with a window that opened up right to ground level. It was handy for sneaking in beer. But I think I could have made a ton of money if I had charged all the people who I allowed to crawl through that window when they left their key cards behind.

What was I thinking? That sounds like a really bad idea now.

Unknown said...

Funny, that happened to me last night at 1:30 a.m. Oh wait, that turned out to be one of my sons. Hope all is swell with you.
Paulette (please excuse the Dan account name--long story)