Could have lingered for hours taking in an exhibit titled "The Exquisite Book." An artist named Helmut Lohr obtained some old books, inverted them so the covers were inside and the pages outside, scored the pages in decorative patterns, then sent them to fellow artists for further transformation.
Here's one of the books on display:
The scope and variety of the finished works is impressive, and it made me think it's about time for another collaborative art & words exploration. So if you're interested, be on the lookout for a funky book in your basement or at a thrift store and let me know that you want to play. I'll probably be doing this outside of work to enable outside-of-Hallmark blog readers to participate. I'll make up the rules as soon as I find out who's in or whenever I feel like it, whichever comes first.
I think it might be interesting if the artistic interpretation somehow expressed the theme of the book.
C'mon. It'll be fun!
* * *
Also mesmerizing: Georgia O'Keefe's Oriental Poppies, a Roy Lichtenstein mural, a collection of mimbres pottery, and an interactive exhibit in which you stroll down the hall of a 1950s apartment building and listen in through the doors to hear what's going on (a woman weeping, a baseball game, a family dinner, a barking dog, among other vignettes).
* * *
On the way back "home," I saw an old (80+) guy strolling and playing a harmonica. He took one hand away from his song to wave as he went by.
That's what I call a good day.
3 comments:
Molly,
Great idea! I'm in for the book transformation project. Nancy
I'll play the book game.
Hey - isn't this your last official day of class? Will you be celebrating like we used to celebrate the end of school? (If yes, don't drive).
Congratulations on graduation! You have accomplished so much this summer. I have been so impressed with your adaptability, your willingness to try new and scary things and your resilience. Plus it's just been great having you back in Minnesota.
I have been searching for the proper graduation gift. I bet nobody gets luggage any more.
"He took one hand away from his song to wave as he went by."
That's what I call a good sentence.
Count me in.
Post a Comment