This back-to-school business is exciting, but as with any thrill ride, its flip side is terror. The fears are looming large tonight, so I'm putting them out there where I can see them. Lucky me...you all can see them, too.
1. It's scary to think about coming home after a long day of school and missing the opportunity to debrief (in person) with the one who knows me best. Twenty five years of marriage creates a certain amount of interdependence in even the most stubborn of people. Call me corny as Kansas in August, but I really like hanging out with the guy I married. It's a good thing, because due to my vision issues, Steve gets to be my chauffeur/bodyguard most days. Any marriage counselor would say a couple months of individual autonomy will be good for both of us. But what's good is not necessarily what's comfortable.
2. I'm a compensating introvert. And one of the important objectives of this sabbatical is to get out there and meet folks of different generations with different values and world views. Some days I can muster the courage to plop my dinner tray down at a table full of strangers and strike up some small talk. But other times, my wallflower self takes over and I could more easily do a hundred pull-ups than try to break out of my shell and make a new friend. Hope I can get over myself.
3. I'm a former marching band geek who participates in adult spelling bees. The dorm I'll be living in houses many of the student athletes (i.e., cool kids). So while I should have left those stereotypes behind long ago, I have a vestigial fear that I'll still be on the outside lookng in. Worst of all, the millennials I'm hoping to befriend may well view me as a weird Mrs. Kravitz figure...a matronly wet blanket to their youthful hijinks.
4. There's a really good chance I won't do this perfectly. I recently looked at my college transcript from 1972-76. Guess what? I took four years' worth of classes I knew I could ace. While this did wonders for my GPA, it left me with huge blind spots which will prevent me from ever becoming a Jeopardy champ. Fortunately, I chose this summer's classes a few weeks ago when I was in fearless mode, so instead of further honing my writing skills and getting the easy A, I'll be grappling with Class Guitar (showcasing my stage fright, performance anxiety, and mediocre musical talent) and Web Design (learning Flash, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, html, and other skills not necessarily correlated with a writer's DNA). I'll do my best. But unlike getting my journalism degree, it probably won't be pretty.
5. The dorm bathroom will be way down the hall. In the middle of the night. This reality makes pitchers of beer at the Big Ten Bar less appealing, for sure.
In conclusion, to everyone who's been saying, "Wow. You're really brave," I say, "Um. Not so much."
Please send me a few good, confident vibes if you're so inclined. And I'll try to spare you any further meltdowns.
Monday, May 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
14 comments:
Vibes, vibes, vibes, vibes . . . I'm sending them to you and they're 100% confident.
Vibe. And a single thought: beer = courage. Figure out the bathroom thing later.
Ah. . . the old "band geek" fear. I know it well, and still managed to survive. Never fear about meeting new friends. . . it's amazing what a shared bathroom does to promote bonding. You're going to be great, and I'm going to be cheering for you!!!
Ann W.
Molly,
I wish I would've had a dorm neighbor in college as cool as you. Can't wait to hear about your adventure!
Vibes! Plus this piece of timeless advice, once dispensed to my darling spousette from her older brother, re First Day At School:
"Be sure to leave ten extra minutes for diarrhea."
I love Boomerang already! Funny writing with great photos - especially "Mol with Cigar." Maybe you'll solidify new friendships by purchasing higher-quality cigars for your dorm mates?
I love vibes. Thanks, people!
Hey, Molly - As a fellow over-50 female I just gotta say that a bathroom down the hall would scare the pee out of me (literally and figuratively) in the middle of the night, with or without the pitcher of beer.
I've got a spare set of extra-long twin sheets if you are interested. They have spent two semesters in the sleeping dorm of a frat house, though (which may or may not add to their appeal).
Loved your blog, Mol. Don't forget about the chocolate-covered donuts at the student union.
Also watch out for the dormitory flasher. He may still be on the loose.
Love, Sal
I think it's wonderful that you and Steve support each other so well after all these many years. While being apart may stink at times, you two are so lucky that you still want to hang out.
As for the Band Geek thing, well, I think most of us BGs turned out a-okay. One of the Coolest girls I knew is now a meth addict. She's still very skinny, but things aren't going so well for her. So you just never know.
You are my back to school hero.
Yay Molly! Just remember No Tattoos and No One Night Stands!
Hmmm...tattoos...
hi molly! i'm so excited for you. no need to fear as you are a natural magnet to people. can't wait to keep reading about your adventures.
1. It's scary to think about coming home after a long day of school and missing the opportunity to debrief (in person) with the one who knows me best.
Mol - This calls to mind a line from The Lovin' Spoonful's song "Darlin' Be Home Soon" which ends
"For the Great Relief of having you to talk to."
You are amazing. You make me feel strong and powerful. Thanks for being you.
JJ
Post a Comment